Eco-Friendly Short Breaks
Eco-Friendly Short Breaks
If you are passionate about looking after the environment and saving it for the next generation then you might also like to continue this when taking your holidays. Eco-Friendly short breaks are possible and there are many property providers that share this passion. There are varying degrees of Eco-friendly holiday. Everything from state of the art modern biomass heating to no electric and an outside rainwater shower. We spoke to a couple of property owners to see how they help preserve our environment with their holiday homes….
Owned by Julie Lord, Burnharbour Cottage is an 18th century Grade II listed fisherman’s cottage, now converted to a holiday cottage, located down bank in Robin Hood’s Bay, North Yorkshire. Julie is passionate about the environment, so we asked her more about how this translates to her business…
- What made you decide to use only eco-friendly products at the cottage? – “we use eco-friendly cleaning products on surfaces where food is prepared and eaten and glass to make it as chemical free as possible. We use Method mainly, so they are effective and well fragranced.”
- How do you think your guests can also help look after our countryside and oceans? – “some of our Guests partake in the beach clean-up project and others receive a welcome pack from us plus social media updates on how they can reduce/ reuse/ recycle. We also provide paper straws, Ecover washing up liquid, organic and toxic free hand soap, reusable grocery shopping bags plus we have a recycle bin for their use.”
- Have you any personal experience of how plastics and our lifestyles are damaging the environment? – “We walk a lot with our dogs in Robin Hoods bay and it’s soul destroying to see how much plastic/ tin and debris is washed up onto the rocks and beaches.”
- What would be your message to other self-catering holiday home owners in the UK regarding eco choices? – “Please, please encourage and make it easier for Guests to recycle.”
Tony Sweeney decided to build his eco-friendly holiday home from scratch. Blackdown views is a 6 bedroom holiday home in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty – The Blackdown Hills in Devon. Here are the main elements contained within the build…
- Solar panels on the roof.
- Water recycling for the flushing of toilets.
- Wood burner and logs sourced from surrounding woodlands and hedgerows.
- Water supplied from borehole and purified on site.
- The house has its own environmentally sensitive sewage treatment plant.
- Being a new build, the house is insulated to a very high standard to reduce heat loss.
- Under floor heating on the ground floor.
Tony emphasised that none of the above should affect the guests during their stay meaning they do not have to do anything differently to have an eco-friendly holiday although, “we do encourage guests to advise us if towels haven’t been used so they are not automatically washed”.
As more of us appreciate the need to preserve our planet our range of environmentally friendly holiday homes increases. Browse our options that can include anything from straw bale buildings to quirky cottages from just £45 per night…
Be the first to find out about our last minute availability and special offers on Midweek Breaks and Short Stay holidays in the UK.
Rest assured all data is stored in line with GDPR regulations and never shared with third parties. You are free to unsubscribe at any time.